The Truth about Private Servers

Displayed directly on the news page (mapleanime.com/news).
Gillian
Free sunscreen monkeyleg
Free sunscreen monkeyleg
The Truth about Private Servers

Post by Gillian » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:54 pm

Over the past few months, Nexon has taken many actions to enforce its rights against private servers. For the community to understand what this means, we'll briefly explain our position and why action is taken.

Private servers- it doesn't matter what game it is; it doesn't matter what the justifications is; the bottom line is that all private servers are illegal. The content that appears on Nexon's website and in its games are Nexon's protected intellectual property. Intellectual property rights are defined as legal property rights, both artistic and commercial, in tangible form (as opposed to ideas). It is recognized by the laws of all the countries in the world and there are severe penalties for those who violate those rights, whether through expensive statutory fines or criminal jail time. The use of intellectual material such as Nexon's requires the permission and authorization from its owner. Using unauthorized intellectual property for personal gain without permission is both illegal and actionable.

The major issue with private servers is that they bypass the creative process of designers and developers. They make copies of the original game by using the creative assets of which they have no legal right to use. Please know that intellectual property has more than a monetary value; private server creators violate the intellectual property rights on games by using it for their own personal interest. It is for this reason that we take legal action against any and all private servers running Nexon games. There is no such thing as a Nexon-approved private server.

Another danger private servers pose concerns the security of information. When you register to play on a private server, you are blindly surrendering your personal information to non-professionals who have no legal obligation to keep your personal information secure. There is no telling what they can do with your personal information!

We have heard some claims that private servers don't make money or ask for donations (some do), it is technically not illegal. This is incorrect. First of all, collecting donations does not automatically make a website a charity or a non-profit organization. To become a charity or have non-profit status, strict guidelines must be followed and government approval needs to be met. We doubt any of the private server sites would fall under those guideline. Therefore, a private server website accepting donations would still be classified as a commercial endeavor which is performing illegal activities. Nobody is fooled by the "donation" scam.

You may have criticism towards Nexon's games that you feel are addressed in private servers. Keep in mind that we are continuing to try to improve our games on a daily basis, which is challenging since we are on a large scale in regards to a player base. It may not be too difficult keeping 5, 20 or maybe even a 100 players happy, but we cater to the thousands that log onto our servers daily, and the millions that play our games worldwide.

We will continue to pursue any and every action necessary, whether legal or otherwise, to stop those who continue to illegally use our intellectual property. If you are currently running an unauthorized server, we advise you to discontinue your service immediately.

Thank you for your understanding.

-MapleStory Staff-

http://maplestory.nexon.net/WZ.ASPX?PAR ... ageIndex=1

Pepsi
Zombie Mushmom

Re: The Truth about Private Servers

Post by Pepsi » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Nexon took down I think over 5 severs the past few weeks

jonlin
Zakum

Post by jonlin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:00 am

I was playing private servers a few weeks ago and had to switch servers 3x in two weeks because nexon shut the servers down lol. then i gave up on private servers

Gillian
Free sunscreen monkeyleg
Free sunscreen monkeyleg

Post by Gillian » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 pm

If we would ever make a private server ourselves it wouldn't be shut-down because it wouldn't be posted on rank sites, advertised on forums and whatever. It would just be hidden and only accessible to certain people. If only.. Hmm I have a spare computer that I'm not using currently... o.o

Zaylo
Jr.Balrog

Post by Zaylo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Gillian wrote:If we would ever make a private server ourselves it wouldn't be shut-down because it wouldn't be posted on rank sites, advertised on forums and whatever. It would just be hidden and only accessible to certain people. If only.. Hmm I have a spare computer that I'm not using currently... o.o

That would be pro if you made one.
OT: ive swiched over 20 times lately >.>

Pepsi
Zombie Mushmom

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:21 pm

holy molly 10+ severs down and out by nexon WOOWWW they goot pissed LOLZ

Tharore
Horny Mushroom

Post by Tharore » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:00 pm

if you make a Private server, not that its gonna be happen, i will be coder ;O im good with Pserver sources since i ever made one, but i was young that time, so i didnt know it was illegal but now i found out it was boring, i mean too high rates, and the most low rates server has shit features, so... i came back at GMS again :D

Pojken
Crimson Balrog

Post by Pojken » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:56 am

It is really easy to make a private server, ive had 3 (cool)

Karsonater
Red ribbon pig

Post by Karsonater » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:07 am

i suck in GMS i got 3k meso and i got a lv.34 hunter

jonameepsman546
Jr.Balrog

Post by jonameepsman546 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Pepsi wrote:holy molly 10+ severs down and out by nexon WOOWWW they goot pissed LOLZ

yaz! LOLZZZ!!!!!! (cool) (cool)

poke1024
Papulatus

Post by poke1024 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:29 am

that would be cool if we mapleanimers made a private server..
with all the different skills we have, it shouldnt be too hard (F2)

BillyBeserk
Zombie Mushmom

Post by BillyBeserk » Fri May 15, 2009 4:11 am

yea we should but gilly wouldnt allow D:

Duality
Papulatus

Post by Duality » Sun May 17, 2009 12:50 am

YA its would be awesome XD just us MAnimers xD We would own

gcool49
Jr.Balrog

Post by gcool49 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:55 am

i'll NEVER EVER give up on private servers join my side ppl

jonameepsman546
Jr.Balrog

Post by jonameepsman546 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:21 pm

well ima gonna go play ms now.

BillyBeserk
Zombie Mushmom

Post by BillyBeserk » Tue May 26, 2009 3:32 am

im with gcool private server are awsome (exellent)

gcool49
Jr.Balrog

Post by gcool49 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:10 am

BillyBeserk wrote:im with gcool private server are awsome (exellent)

yeah anyone else

bboyz4
Horned Tail

Post by bboyz4 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:50 am

pretty soon the pserver gonna be closed............maybe not soon but it will be closed...and gilly,make one pweez x.x

KrisKrazy
Mushroom

Post by KrisKrazy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:17 pm

here one of the reason nexon is shuting down private severs there way cooler than the oringinal

playa4life01
Mapleanimer

Post by playa4life01 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:15 pm

the only reason theyre shutting it down is because all of the maplers are quiting the real maple

why train years to get a lvl 200 char when you can train 2-3 hours and solo papulatus on ur own and stuff