The Truth about Private Servers

Displayed directly on the news page (mapleanime.com/news).
Mechy
Zakum
Re: The Truth about Private Servers

Post by Mechy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:00 am

Gillian wrote:Over the past few months, Nexon has taken many actions to enforce its rights against private servers. For the community to understand what this means, we'll briefly explain our position and why action is taken.

Private servers- it doesn't matter what game it is; it doesn't matter what the justifications is; the bottom line is that all private servers are illegal. The content that appears on Nexon's website and in its games are Nexon's protected intellectual property. Intellectual property rights are defined as legal property rights, both artistic and commercial, in tangible form (as opposed to ideas). It is recognized by the laws of all the countries in the world and there are severe penalties for those who violate those rights, whether through expensive statutory fines or criminal jail time. The use of intellectual material such as Nexon's requires the permission and authorization from its owner. Using unauthorized intellectual property for personal gain without permission is both illegal and actionable.

The major issue with private servers is that they bypass the creative process of designers and developers. They make copies of the original game by using the creative assets of which they have no legal right to use. Please know that intellectual property has more than a monetary value; private server creators violate the intellectual property rights on games by using it for their own personal interest. It is for this reason that we take legal action against any and all private servers running Nexon games. There is no such thing as a Nexon-approved private server.

Another danger private servers pose concerns the security of information. When you register to play on a private server, you are blindly surrendering your personal information to non-professionals who have no legal obligation to keep your personal information secure. There is no telling what they can do with your personal information!

We have heard some claims that private servers don't make money or ask for donations (some do), it is technically not illegal. This is incorrect. First of all, collecting donations does not automatically make a website a charity or a non-profit organization. To become a charity or have non-profit status, strict guidelines must be followed and government approval needs to be met. We doubt any of the private server sites would fall under those guideline. Therefore, a private server website accepting donations would still be classified as a commercial endeavor which is performing illegal activities. Nobody is fooled by the "donation" scam.

You may have criticism towards Nexon's games that you feel are addressed in private servers. Keep in mind that we are continuing to try to improve our games on a daily basis, which is challenging since we are on a large scale in regards to a player base. It may not be too difficult keeping 5, 20 or maybe even a 100 players happy, but we cater to the thousands that log onto our servers daily, and the millions that play our games worldwide.

We will continue to pursue any and every action necessary, whether legal or otherwise, to stop those who continue to illegally use our intellectual property. If you are currently running an unauthorized server, we advise you to discontinue your service immediately.

Thank you for your understanding.

-MapleStory Staff-

http://maplestory.nexon.net/WZ.ASPX?PAR ... ageIndex=1

i heard they took down Flash games now...

jaccaj
Jr.Balrog

Post by jaccaj » Mon May 16, 2011 1:46 am

i heard they took down Flash games now...[/quote]
Really? (eek) (MS2) (F4)

qweboost23
Zakum

Post by qweboost23 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:01 am

jaccaj wrote:i heard they took down Flash games now...

Really? (eek) (MS2) (F4)[/quote]
some

moffey
Slime

Post by moffey » Sat May 21, 2011 3:37 am

Well I quit Private servers because they kept getting shut down, and nowdays GMS seems better and tespia is basicly a private server run by nexon. I heard that nexon stopped shutting privateservers by my frind because it costed too much money to sue people.

qweboost23
Zakum

Post by qweboost23 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:26 am

moffey wrote:Well I quit Private servers because they kept getting shut down, and nowdays GMS seems better and tespia is basicly a private server run by nexon. I heard that nexon stopped shutting privateservers by my frind because it costed too much money to sue people.

Private servers ain't much fun anymore cuz all u do is level up

Mechy
Zakum

Post by Mechy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:53 am

qweboost23 wrote:
moffey wrote:Well I quit Private servers because they kept getting shut down, and nowdays GMS seems better and tespia is basicly a private server run by nexon. I heard that nexon stopped shutting privateservers by my frind because it costed too much money to sue people.

i also heard they shut down maple simulators 2

qweboost23
Zakum

Post by qweboost23 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:27 am

Mechy wrote:
qweboost23 wrote:

i also heard they shut down maple simulators 2

except bannedstory?

1LastBreath
Premium
Premium

Post by 1LastBreath » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:39 pm

ive missed banned story i <3 bannedstory

qweboost23
Zakum

Post by qweboost23 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:42 am

1LastBreath wrote:ive missed banned story i <3 bannedstory

i miss myself i <3 myself not

GLacko
Zombie Mushmom

Post by GLacko » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:34 am

BannedStory is back up as of now. The owner is able to use all the same features as he did before.

1LastBreath
Premium
Premium

Post by 1LastBreath » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:00 am

i used to play pservers but i quit cuz theres no interesting things like custom items