Japan Tsunami,8.1 earthquake,Hawaii and Cali

Topics not directly related to Maplestory or MapleAnime may go in here.
MsMeowzers
Papulatus

Post by MsMeowzers » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm

LA Times wrote:Japan earthquake, tsunami kill hundreds, cause crippling damage
An 8.9 earthquake off the Pacific coast sets off a massive tsunami, resulting in floods, fires and the closure of airports and transit systems. Up to 300 bodies are found on a beach in Sendai, on the northeast coast, with another 110 confirmed dead elsewhere. Authorities are monitoring Japan's nuclear power plants.
Reporting from Beijing and Tokyo —
After years of preparation for the killer earthquake that would clearly one day strike, Japan found itself crippled Friday by floods, power failures, fires, shuttered airports and paralyzed transit systems from an 8.9 earthquake that struck off the Pacific coast, killing hundreds of people and setting off a massive tsunami.

In magnitude, the quake was the largest ever in Japan and the fifth-strongest on record, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
Japan's chief Cabinet secretary Yukio Edano said that an "extremely large number of people'' had been killed, the official Kyodo news agency reported.

The agency said 200 to 300 bodies were found on the beach in Sendai, a city of 1 million people on the northeast coast that was one of the hardest hit. Another 110 people had been confirmed dead as of midnight Japan time, and the toll was sure to rise signficantly as the full extent of the damage was assessed.

The earthquake struck 80 miles offshore at 2.46 p.m. Friday Japan time.

The most immediate concern was the safety of the nation's nuclear plants. Some 3,000 people living near a nuclear power plant in Fukushima prefecture, north of Tokyo, were evacuated because of a reactor cooling malfunction, but the government said that no radiation was leaking. Authorities had turned off 11 power plants and 4 million people were reported to be without electricity.

"We ask the people of Japan to be cautious and vigilant.. We are asking the people of Japan to act calmly,'' Prime Minister Naoto Kan said in a somber address to the nation.
Military aircraft were being dispatched to the coastline to assess the damage. Aerial footage released to Japanese television showed images that looked to be straight out of horror movies. A churning wave of sludge carrying cars, boats and trees was plowing across the low-lying farmland near the coast. The Sendai airport was partially underwater with employees taking refuge on the roof. There were more than 80 fires reported across the country, including several in large oil refineries.

Late Friday, the news service reported that a dam had broken in Fukushima prejecture, washing away homes.

In Tokyo, 240 miles from the epicenter, the physical damage was less severe but the psychological toll was enormous, a jolting reminder of the country's vulnerability. With subways, buses and trains closed, much of the city's workforce took to the streets at night in an attempt to get home. Late into the night, the streets were still filled with people, some of them wearing white hard hats which are given out to state employees. They also carried water and first-aid kits.

"The earthquake wasn't that destructive here in Tokyo, but even then I couldn't use my cellphone, couldn't send e-mails,'' said Megumi Ishii, 26, who was an hour into what she expected would be a six-hour walk home from work. ``What happens if a bigger one hits Tokyo? It was really scary and unsettling.''

Shinji Tanaka, 32, an IT company employee in Tokyo, said he was on the third floor of an office building when the ground shook. "I got under the desk. We followed the orders of the person who had been appointed for this sort of thing. We do drills about once a year. And we have helmets and other goods in the office."

Japan sits on the juncture of four of the Earth's tectonic plates, making it one of the most seismically active countries in the world. It has also spent more money and more time than any other country trying to prepare.

Every year on Sept. 1, the anniversary of the Tokyo earthquake of 1923 that killed more than 140,000 people, much of the population participates in quake drills. Construction standards are also exacting. But there is less that Japan can do gird itself against tsunami waves. Despite an elaborate warning system, the waves Friday traveled too fast for residents to escape from low-lying coast areas.

My god,and this tsunami is heading for the states.
CURSE YOU EL NINO.

chobbilight
Legend

Re: Japan Tsunami,8.1 earthquake,Hawaii and Cali

Post by chobbilight » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Crush the U.S.A mauhahahahahahahah muahahahahhaah muahahahhahaha
my master plan worked!!!

Mechy
Zakum

Post by Mechy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:10 pm

MsMeowzers wrote:
LA Times wrote:Japan earthquake, tsunami kill hundreds, cause crippling damage
An 8.9 earthquake off the Pacific coast sets off a massive tsunami, resulting in floods, fires and the closure of airports and transit systems. Up to 300 bodies are found on a beach in Sendai, on the northeast coast, with another 110 confirmed dead elsewhere. Authorities are monitoring Japan's nuclear power plants.
Reporting from Beijing and Tokyo —
After years of preparation for the killer earthquake that would clearly one day strike, Japan found itself crippled Friday by floods, power failures, fires, shuttered airports and paralyzed transit systems from an 8.9 earthquake that struck off the Pacific coast, killing hundreds of people and setting off a massive tsunami.

In magnitude, the quake was the largest ever in Japan and the fifth-strongest on record, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
Japan's chief Cabinet secretary Yukio Edano said that an "extremely large number of people'' had been killed, the official Kyodo news agency reported.

The agency said 200 to 300 bodies were found on the beach in Sendai, a city of 1 million people on the northeast coast that was one of the hardest hit. Another 110 people had been confirmed dead as of midnight Japan time, and the toll was sure to rise signficantly as the full extent of the damage was assessed.

The earthquake struck 80 miles offshore at 2.46 p.m. Friday Japan time.

The most immediate concern was the safety of the nation's nuclear plants. Some 3,000 people living near a nuclear power plant in Fukushima prefecture, north of Tokyo, were evacuated because of a reactor cooling malfunction, but the government said that no radiation was leaking. Authorities had turned off 11 power plants and 4 million people were reported to be without electricity.

"We ask the people of Japan to be cautious and vigilant.. We are asking the people of Japan to act calmly,'' Prime Minister Naoto Kan said in a somber address to the nation.
Military aircraft were being dispatched to the coastline to assess the damage. Aerial footage released to Japanese television showed images that looked to be straight out of horror movies. A churning wave of sludge carrying cars, boats and trees was plowing across the low-lying farmland near the coast. The Sendai airport was partially underwater with employees taking refuge on the roof. There were more than 80 fires reported across the country, including several in large oil refineries.

Late Friday, the news service reported that a dam had broken in Fukushima prejecture, washing away homes.

In Tokyo, 240 miles from the epicenter, the physical damage was less severe but the psychological toll was enormous, a jolting reminder of the country's vulnerability. With subways, buses and trains closed, much of the city's workforce took to the streets at night in an attempt to get home. Late into the night, the streets were still filled with people, some of them wearing white hard hats which are given out to state employees. They also carried water and first-aid kits.

"The earthquake wasn't that destructive here in Tokyo, but even then I couldn't use my cellphone, couldn't send e-mails,'' said Megumi Ishii, 26, who was an hour into what she expected would be a six-hour walk home from work. ``What happens if a bigger one hits Tokyo? It was really scary and unsettling.''

Shinji Tanaka, 32, an IT company employee in Tokyo, said he was on the third floor of an office building when the ground shook. "I got under the desk. We followed the orders of the person who had been appointed for this sort of thing. We do drills about once a year. And we have helmets and other goods in the office."

Japan sits on the juncture of four of the Earth's tectonic plates, making it one of the most seismically active countries in the world. It has also spent more money and more time than any other country trying to prepare.

Every year on Sept. 1, the anniversary of the Tokyo earthquake of 1923 that killed more than 140,000 people, much of the population participates in quake drills. Construction standards are also exacting. But there is less that Japan can do gird itself against tsunami waves. Despite an elaborate warning system, the waves Friday traveled too fast for residents to escape from low-lying coast areas.

My god,and this tsunami is heading for the states.
CURSE YOU EL NINO.

Yes i heard about it on the news it looks like madness!!!

Whee
Blue Mushmom

Post by Whee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:48 pm

Aye, terrible news.
But, if it killed hundreds (I don't judge humans by numbers, but) it is incomparable to the other earthquakes out there.
Now, if the epicenter of this earthquake was at the center of Japan...
Well, Hell. I'll just say they got lucky that is wasn't. Be optimistic about the future.

synn90210
Pianus

Post by synn90210 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:32 am

I really agree with Whee. It could have been much worse (not saying that it wasnt bad already). This just makes me glad that I dont live in Hawaii or California....

MsMeowzers
Papulatus

Post by MsMeowzers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:12 am

synn90210 wrote:I really agree with Whee. It could have been much worse (not saying that it wasnt bad already). This just makes me glad that I dont live in Hawaii or California....

I live in Indiana,moving to Texas.
I'm worrying about blizzards here,then tornados.
But earthquakes never happen here,if they do,they are very small.
But seeing things like this reminds me that once I start traveling,I'm not going to be safe.

pvtsharp
Pianus

Post by pvtsharp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:00 am

Reiteisai was delayed and Zun twittered that his HDD flew into the trash can due to the earthquake....

I WANT TOUHOU 14!!!!

synn90210
Pianus

Post by synn90210 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:36 am

MsMeowzers wrote:
synn90210 wrote:I really agree with Whee. It could have been much worse (not saying that it wasnt bad already). This just makes me glad that I dont live in Hawaii or California....

But seeing things like this reminds me that once I start traveling,I'm not going to be safe.

Ahh I see. I'm all the way over in Pennsylvania. All I have to worry about is lots of snow, bad roads, and the rare tornado

Mechy
Zakum

Post by Mechy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:38 am

Whee wrote:Aye, terrible news.
But, if it killed hundreds (I don't judge humans by numbers, but) it is incomparable to the other earthquakes out there.
Now, if the epicenter of this earthquake was at the center of Japan...
Well, Hell. I'll just say they got lucky that is wasn't. Be optimistic about the future.

im starting to think 2012 is true

MsMeowzers
Papulatus

Post by MsMeowzers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:55 am

pvtsharp wrote:Reiteisai was delayed and Zun twittered that his HDD flew into the trash can due to the earthquake....

I WANT TOUHOU 14!!!!

13*
Oh,and his PC-98 monitor crashed down.
Probably because its fandom is slowly decreasing.

crutchfield
Papulatus

Post by crutchfield » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:02 am

MsMeowzers wrote:

Silly girl, you're never safe >:D
I live in Wisconsin so I barely have any natural disasters here

MsMeowzers
Papulatus

Post by MsMeowzers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:03 am

When I'm inside my dreams I am.
Hehehehe.

dfuzz1987
Zakum

Post by dfuzz1987 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:36 am

i thought it was earthquake/tsunami 8.9 O_O
maybe I'm wrong but they say its the 5th worse earthquake in japan.

twister7boy
Jr.Balrog

Post by twister7boy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:43 am

i think the number killed will be much higher.
no warning and happened at night.
they are strong though in the rebuilding.
plus they all pull together.
not like here because they dont play cut corners and skip steps.
gotta get that nuke plant under control or yikes.
what we got was a joke.
they took the full force.
hope they are doing ok for now

jadeylady96
Pink bean

Post by jadeylady96 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:39 am

oh hell no hawaii got hurt too? I Have friends there >:[ *checks up on them on fb D:*

chobbilight
Legend

Post by chobbilight » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:56 am

jadeylady96 wrote:oh hell no hawaii got hurt too? I Have friends there >:[ *checks up on them on fb D:*

you dont have friends there
you have ppl you met on internet there

playa4life01
Mapleanimer

Post by playa4life01 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:51 pm

chobbilight wrote:
jadeylady96 wrote:oh hell no hawaii got hurt too? I Have friends there >:[ *checks up on them on fb D:*

you dont have friends

hahahahahahahahahahah xP
Last edited by playa4life01 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jadeylady96
Pink bean

Post by jadeylady96 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:38 pm

chobbilight wrote:

you dont have friends there
you have ppl you met on internet there

well dur :3 *on maple, you mean.
And I do have friends on facebook from irl ¬.¬ If that's what you meant.
I just don't have irl friends in Hawaii, of course.

MsMeowzers
Papulatus

Post by MsMeowzers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Nuclear reactor info from BBC.
A powerful explosion has hit a nuclear power station in north-eastern Japan which was badly damaged in Friday's devastating earthquake.

A building housing a reactor was destroyed, but the authorities said the reactor itself was intact inside its steel container.

The Japanese government has sought to play down fears of a meltdown at the Fukushima plant.

It says radiation levels around the stricken plant have now fallen.

A huge rescue and relief operation is under way in the region after the earthquake and subsequent tsunami, which are thought to have killed more than 1,000 people.

Tokyo Electric Power said four of its workers had been injured in Saturday's blast at Fukushima, 250km (155 miles) north of Tokyo, but that their injuries were not life-threatening.

An evacuation zone around the damaged nuclear plant has been extended to 20km (12.4 miles) from 10km, and a state of emergency declared.
The government has urged residents to remain calm and is preparing to distribute iodine to anyone affected.

Tests showed at least three patients evacuated from a hospital near the plant had been exposed to radiation, public broadcaster NHK quoted local government officials as saying. They were among a group of people waiting outside the hospital for rescue helicopters when the explosion hit the plant.

Government spokesman Yukio Edano said the force of the explosion had destroyed the concrete roof and walls of a building around the plant's number one reactor, but a steel container encasing the reactor had not been ruptured.

Mr Edano said radiation levels around the plant had fallen after the explosion. He added that sea water was being pumped into the site to lower temperatures.

Before the explosion, Japan's nuclear agency had said that radioactive caesium and iodine had been detected near the number one reactor. The agency said this could indicate that containers of uranium fuel inside the reactor may have begun melting.

Air and steam, with some level of radioactivity, was earlier released from several of the reactors at both plants in an effort to relieve the huge amount of pressure building up inside.

playa4life01
Mapleanimer

Post by playa4life01 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:47 pm

yea, i heard it on the news that they shouldnt eat fresh food, like fruit and stuff, only eat things from conserved thingies.
like tin can thingies (F6)