Talk about Fan Fictions
jonlin
Zakum
Fanfic Howto guide Updated

Post by jonlin » Thu May 28, 2009 10:17 pm

I started a Howto Guide for Fanfictions to help encourage New writers

Jonlin Updated February 13th, 2010
And Again On August 22, 2010

Zaylo please feel free to add to it, just edit this post and add whatever you want to add in at the section I have left for you.

Starting Off
The first thing you need is a STORY IDEA. This can be any where from the plotline to a basic idea, you just need one.If you are stuck for ideas read other fanfics for inspiration.
Fanfiction.net will be very useful for Inspiration.
OH, Pvt is right music is awesome inspiration too :P

Outline/Plot
Once you have your story idea, You should organize an Outline. I especially reccomend it if you like writing within boundaries. If you are like me, and prefer to write in the spur of the moment, feel free to skip this step.

A) Open up any type of word processor with spellcheck. This will help keep your stories from being riddled with typos, and your plans easy to understand.

B) Seperate it into three sections, each highlighted in some way so it is clear which is which:
1. Title Possibilities:
This is needed only in the beggining, once you have a confirmed title, Replace this section with the title at the top of the outline.
2. Plot:
Here is where you expand your basic idea. Self-Explanatory, write your plans for the plot here.
3. Character Profiles
Here you simply write all information on the Characters. Highlight the Main character Profiles and put them at the top as these will likely be the longest and most important, and write tiny sections on any side characters below them.

Now you have an outline. Save this as Fanfic outline or a title of your choice. If you are organized and want to, Create a folder called Fanfictions wherever you save files, and if you plan on making multiple fanfictions, create one folder a fanfiction.

The Writing!

Yes, the part we have all been waiting for!

Before we start, let's lay down a few ground rules:
Rule 1. 1337 Speak:
As far as I am concerned, this should not be used unless directly connected to the storyline and needed to support it. We all Know that 1337 sp34k 15 typ1ng l1k3 d15 and simply makes things confusing for the reader.
Rule 2. Grammar:
Please try your best to use correct grammar, unless to make a point such as the fact that someone has not been educated. This is for the same reasons as rule 1, Grammar bad makes hard understanding.
Rule 3. Spelling:
We all know how to spell properly, and for words too abstruse for you simply use spellcheck.
Rule 4. Length:
Please do not make a story one chapter long, or rushed, or even 1-2 paragraphs a chapter. People will Not continue reading your story if it is short or rushed, and a one chapter story is just...
Rule 5.Density:
Please do not make your story one big blob, try and split it up after:
A) Someone speaks
B) The focus Changes
C) Every 6-10 sentences. (otherwise blobs begin to appear)
Rule 6. Description:
Please add Description so that your story is not just dialog, because description is used to form a pictur of your story in the readers head. HOWEVER, do not go too far into the details, for example the reader does not need to know what temperature it is exactly, or the colour of a necklace someone is wearing, unless it is directly related somehow.
EDIT: synonymns are good. description is good. just don't go so deep into description you forget the storyline.

Let me remind you of the ultimate goal of a writer: to make the reader FEEL your story. make them feel included into it, make them cry for your characters, laugh alongside them, and live in their skin for a while. To do this, YES you may have to put a little romance, bromance, or whatever you feel like in. but if anyone makes a soppy romance series about vampires and werewolves I will murder them in their sleep... clear?

Now that we have that out of the way, please organize your story into chapters, and possibly one prologue. That is the standard format here and this is simply to help people understand.

Finally, comes the writing. I reccomend typing your story in a word processing program such as word. I will not tell you how to write your story as everyone has their own writing style, but I will classify the three basic points of view and make a few reccomendations.

Points of View

It is in MY opinion fine to change the Point of View in the middle, but if it is a big change, like from 1st to 3rd, indicate it is changing somehow, such as pitting a line of asterisks inbetween the two POVs.

1st Person:
This is writing done from a specific characters Point of View.
Example:
I Jumped at the sound of gunfire and then dove hurriedly behind a pile of boxes, hoping not to be noticed.

2nd Person:
This is writing using you as the character. I am bad at explaining this, and People almost never write stories in this point of view.
Example:
You are walking along when you hear Gunfire sound behind you. You dive behind a Pile of boxes nearby and stay still, hoping the gunbearer does not notice you

3rd Person:
This is writing done as an observer, genrally with knowledge of what is happening in the subject. There are two types of 3rd person, Limited ad Omniscient. Limited is as it suggests, Limited to knowing what one person is thinking and doing. Omniscient is describing what every person is doing and thinking as if observing the scene from afar.
Examples:
Limited
Tom was walking along when he heard gunfire behind him. He quickly dived bahind a nearby pile of boxes, thinking:
Oh my god, what happened? As he dived.

Omniscient
As Tom walked towards the backdoor of his workplace, Thinking about what he had to do that day, Bob walked unknowing that he was there, right past, looking for someone to kill.

General Suggestions

Suggestion Number One: SAVE YOUR CHAPTERS
I seriously recommend that you save your chapters to a Folder somewhere on your computer. Mapleanimes database was hacked and had to be replaced at one point and I lost a few chapters, and was forced to re-write them. this is the equivalent of making back-ups.

Suggestion Number Two: Periodicals
I suggest you write your story in pieces, divided into chapters. if you want, you can write it all in once chunk, but by writing like this you can write blobs whenever you have inspiration.

Suggestion Number Three: Storyboarding/Visualization
This is a bit of a twist on what ember said, basically set the story out into main parts in the storyline in pictures. Visualization is simply drawing/creating the character to help you imagine what is happening.

Zaylo's section:

Let me start by saying, i thank you for coming up with this Jonlin I honestly salute you. (No sarcasm)
my section here will cover how to get a 10/10 by Zaylo's chart in terms of character design and storyline

Today I'll be doing storyline.

Ok first off as cute as it is, I dont suggest having a "be in (fanfic title here) sign up" personally this means you are forced to build a story around certain character formats. Like when you promise someone they will be in chapter 4 in a certain area, you are forced into rushing the story so the storyline is at the right place at the right chapter and this makes the story feel rushed.

Now onto coming up with a decent storyline that isnt cliché.

First off, NO and I mean NO people based of elements, like guard A is the firemaster, guard B Is a Ice master. Trust me no one likes power rangers.

Next as much as others here seem to hate it, include either or all of these things, A. Romance B. tragedy C. Betaryl. (spelt wrong I know) these factors make the story feel more real.

No Internet slang
C@Us3 T@1K1nG liek Dis ... Is annoying

I'll add more someother day
Last edited by jonlin on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Zaylo
Jr.Balrog

Re: Fanfic Howto guide

Post by Zaylo » Fri May 29, 2009 1:00 pm

i'll update again later

chobbilight
Legend

Post by chobbilight » Fri May 29, 2009 2:31 pm

......sow
a is having some tragedy
b is having some romance
c is having some betrayel (i know worng i took it from zaylo)

lolz.....in my fanfic jonlin comes and falls in love whit zaylo...(that was when i thought jonlin was a girl....2 months ago)no offense
now i need 2 change it

jonlin
Zakum

Post by jonlin » Fri May 29, 2009 7:41 pm

(hothead) lol zaylo was in my class last year 0.o and I can tell you for sure we are both GUYS.

BTW I disagree you don't NEED romance tragedy or betrayal, but they are recommended

synn90210
Pianus

Post by synn90210 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 pm

i swear you guys took the words right out of my mouth. this is all that a fanfic should be. Btw Jonlin can i offer my opinion in this? like have my section?

jonlin
Zakum

Post by jonlin » Fri May 29, 2009 10:34 pm

since you can't edit my post then just edit that post there after all it is relatively early in the posts after all.

feel free to add to this, just post your suggestions @ all

poke1024
Papulatus

Post by poke1024 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:50 pm

thanks for the guide
this makes want to have a fan fic of my own

zenopop
Crimson Balrog

Post by zenopop » Sat May 30, 2009 1:44 am

hmm so i shouldnt put people where they wan to be ok good thing synns thing was my idea and ill just put people where i think they should go

chobbilight
Legend

Post by chobbilight » Sat May 30, 2009 10:13 am

jonlin wrote:(hothead) lol zaylo was in my class last year 0.o and I can tell you for sure we are both GUYS.

BTW I disagree you don't NEED romance tragedy or betrayal, but they are recommended

omg i said when it thought you were a girl.....sheez.....now...lolz no need al those things is good

jonlin
Zakum

Post by jonlin » Sat May 30, 2009 1:18 pm

lol just forget about it I guess -.- and to zeno, well the thing about asking someone to tell you when to put them in is like saying, tell me when you want to be in my storyline so I am forced to bend over backwards to include you.

chobbilight
Legend

Post by chobbilight » Sat May 30, 2009 2:47 pm

.....ok good point but its funnier 2 use some of you guys in a fan fiction

jonlin
Zakum

Post by jonlin » Sat May 30, 2009 3:13 pm

it's fine to ask for name's jo's and physical pheatures but in my opinion they can't choose when to come in to your story.

chobbilight
Legend

Post by chobbilight » Sat May 30, 2009 3:50 pm

lolz....maybe they can......

jonlin
Zakum

Post by jonlin » Sat May 30, 2009 4:12 pm

in my opinion I said

chobbilight
Legend

Post by chobbilight » Sat May 30, 2009 5:53 pm

jonlin wrote:in my opinion I said

didn't saw that part

jonlin
Zakum

Post by jonlin » Sat May 30, 2009 6:09 pm

that is quite obvious -.-

chobbilight
Legend

Post by chobbilight » Sat May 30, 2009 6:22 pm

jonlin ima write my fanfic right now....cause i jsut had a idea after reading regarding a noob life 11

jonlin
Zakum

Post by jonlin » Sat May 30, 2009 6:28 pm

don't you mean A noobs life 11? or Regarding a noob's life?

chobbilight
Legend

Post by chobbilight » Sat May 30, 2009 6:31 pm

jonlin wrote:don't you mean A noobs life 11? or Regarding a noob's life?

Regarding a noob's life

futurestart
Slime

Post by futurestart » Sat May 30, 2009 7:56 pm

good guide but not really help ful (F6)